Wednesday 18 July 2012

Week Nine

Communication and Mutual Problem Solving


As we discussed Communication and Problem Solving in families, we talked about the Councils held by the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency. I was so inspired! Our family has never really done councils, and I don't think that my parents hold one regularly either. This concept hit me very hard, and I determined to make this part of my future family. Here are the important parts of a council:




One area of this that we didn't have time to discuss in much depth is just how we reach a consensus. I learned of a conflict resolution model that I think I would implement in the discussion to help reach the desired consensus. Here is a visual model of it:


Basically, each person takes a turn going over each part of the wheel, so that all areas of the topic are covered on each side before discussion begins. 
Why would we not take care of the issues that arise in family life, in our most precious relationships, with the same care that our leaders take care of the church? I believe this to be a beautiful, powerful and inspired pattern that I am excited to begin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment